34.4 % Children under 5 years are stunted (height-for-age).
36.0 % Children under 5 years are underweight (weight-for-age).
71.9 % Children age 6-35 months who are anaemic.
SNEH TML - COMAL
Most of the seven billion people in this world suffer from malnutrition. Half do not have enough to eat and the rest of us eat too much .
SNEH Foundation is the implementing partner of TATA Motors’ CSR health initiative ‘Arogya’.
We are working together since three years to combat malnutrition in the most marginalised communities of PCMC. COMAL is a combating malnutrition initiative and it adheres to the community-based management of acute malnutrition model (CMAM) endorsed by UNICEF and WHO. In CMAM our team of community link workers (CLW) provide treatment for children with severe acute malnutrition in the home using Ready-to-Use-Therapeutic Foods (RUTF) and routine medical care. For children with moderate acute malnutrition supplementary food is provided on doorstep. Awareness related to preventive methodologies is spread in the community so that healthy children do not suffer from malnutrition.
- 500 severely malnourished children have been identified till date from 11 slum pockets of PCMC.
- 90% children have moved to healthy zone and have sustained in the last 2 years.
- 5000+ families indirectly impacted by conducting street plays, digital sessions, recipe sessions etc in the communities.
SNEH Kothrud - COMAL
Beware the ends of the earth and the exotic: the drama is on your doorstep wherever the slums; are, wherever there is malnutrition, wherever there is exploitation and cruelty.
Using our field research and experience at grass root level we initiated a unique Comal - Combating Malnutrition project with core focus on awareness and preventive approaches.
Project has been initiated in Kothrud Pune to target the demography of marginalized communities in urban slums. These communities are the places in the shadows, right next to the bright and affluent neighbourhoods, the places where the light of health awareness is dimly visible. This project, through a step-by-step process aims of arming the community with the right tools to combat malnutrition. We aim to raise maternal and child health related awareness among the families of undernourished children in Kothrud community areas.
- Project is being initiated in liaison with Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) popularly known as “Anganwadis”.
- 300 severely and moderately underweight children have been identified from 30 anganwadis and the awareness based intervention is in progress.
- Multi dimensional theme based approach is being implemented covering “frequency of food”, “food pyramid”, “baal kopara”, “recommended dietary allowance” etc to ensure sustainable development.